Tuesday, February 19, 2013

wooden boxes, magic clouds, and minor apocalypses

2012 was not the end of the world, *and there was much rejoicing*, but for me, 2013 sure does feel like the apocalypse (albeit a minor one).

Work is absolutely crazy . . . we'll leave it at that.

Throw on top of that a little flu/plague infestation, a garage door revolt, and a leaky basement. needless to say it's been a little stressful.

In times like this, the best solution to stress is a nice distraction by a good book. And while my instincts are pulling me towards Tolkien or Orson Scott Card, I'm looking at you The Lost Gate, this time I've decided to take a different route. I've checked out Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand.

I'm a little embarrassed to admit I've never read Atlas Shrugged, I tried to listen to the audiobook last Fall as my wife and I made the trek to Western Nebraska, sadly, she nixed that plan after about 20 miles.

A little Fiction vacation is just what I need. But I'm not totally abstaining from Non-Fiction.

I've made 2 selections for the Non-Fiction quest:
First, Children's Furniture Projects by Jeff Miller. I do not have the skill or patience to make my daughter a toy chest, but I can at least make photocopies of the plans for one, it's the thought that counts right?

Also, Management Strategies for the Cloud Revolution, by Charles Babcock. I teach two classes at the library, one about using Android devices and the other about current mobile technologies. In both of these classes I mention cloud storage and I don't think I'm explaining it in a way that they are able to understand it, hopefully this will help with that.



No comments:

Post a Comment