Thursday, August 15, 2013

Losing my Addictions

I believe in God. If you don't, then that is your right. But for me, whenever someone asks me if I believe in God my answer is always the same: No one could live the life I have and not believe in God. 

But this is not a post about God or religion. I just think it is amazing how God can throw things at you right when you need them.

Recently, we went out to the sand hills of Western Nebraska to celebrate my in-law's 40th wedding anniversary. When we got back I scrolled through all the pictures we had taken. there were plenty of pictures of the little girl, several of her cousins, aunts, uncles, grandma and grandpa, but then I started looking for pictures of my wife and I. There were 0. I asked my wife about this and she said she didn't like have her picture taken. I concur.

I don't like pictures of me because they show me how fat I am.

My wife and I have talked on several occasions about how we need to change our lifestyle to be healthier but nothing ever seems to stick. We told ourselves after this mini-vacation that we would start something new. . . we didn't.

So last night, when my wife asked if I wanted to go for a walk and I declined, we ended up sitting on the couch instead. Somehow, the TV was navigated to a Michael Mosley program on PBS.

God bless PBS.

The show was about exercise and how researchers think we all have it wrong. We stopped and listened. An hour later we both were disgusted with ourselves and our sedentary lifestyle. 

As a result, my wife and I are both starting to plan out our new routines. She wants to do Gluten-Free, I want to go the Paleo diet route. Crazy-talk about gym memberships started spewing from our mouths.

That's all well and good. But deep down, hidden in the shadows, my addiction snickers at my aspirations. 

You see, I am addicted to Coke (Coca-Cola, that is, soda, lets not start any rumors). And every attempt I have made to break this addiction has failed, or has succeeded only to be destroyed shortly thereafter with a momentary sip that sends me right back where I started.

I know that any attempt at a healthy lifestyle is dead in the water if I don't fix this before. So as of this weekend I am starting. again, to break being the Coke junkie.

In the meantime, I have picked up a couple non-fiction books to help fuel the diet plans:
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Gluten-Free Cooking, by Jean Duane
and,
The Paleo Slow Cooker: Healthy Gluten-Free Meals the East Way, by Arsy Vartanian


No comments:

Post a Comment