Friday, May 11, 2012

Time for a readjusting of the rules:
1. Non-fiction only. I don't have the time or patience to read every teen vampire romance novel. (though I might take advantage of the graphic novel section at some point, though I have burned through most of that section already)
2. 1 book chosen from each shelf at my discretion, if I choose to select another from that shelf, that is ok.
3. No time limit. I started working at the library in 2011, I wholeheartedly plan on retiring here so that gives me roughly 35-40 years to play with, God willing.
4. I must read at least 100 50 pages before checking it back in. Some things are just not going to float my boat, no need to force myself.

5. I must read at least 1 hour a day. That's going to be hard with 2 jobs and a newborn, but I want to set an example. I must read at least 15 minutes a day. More would be better, but this way I can at least get some some time in during my lunch break on those days I am away from home from 8AM to 9:30PM
6. Only 3 books out at a time. 3 is pushing it I think, but having a little variety is going to go a long way with this project.


So, my current selections are: Where the Road Ends: A Home in the Brazilian Rainforest by Binka Le Breton and The Lady Tasting Tea: How Statistics Revolutionized Science in the Twentieth Century by David Salsburg.


Those selections are fine, I enjoy travel and I enjoy statistics, but to keep my head in the game for the long haul I am going to need to find some books on topics I really enjoy. So, I needed to make a list of those topics:
(Not necessarily in this order)
1. Video Games
2. Superheros\Comic Books
3. Archery
4. Writing
5 Cooking

I want to include these topics when selecting a book, but I can't do these topics exclusively or I'll burn through them and be left with topics I am not passionate about, which would make for a longer and more difficult road to finish.

That being said, say hello to selection #3: 799.32 WIS Bow & Arrow: The Complete Guide to Equipment, Technique, and Competition by Larry Wise.

Now, I know what your thinking: Oh, he selected Archery because it's a hot trend in pop culture. And, truth be told, I am a huge fan of Katniss Everdeen and The Hunger Games by Susanne Collins and I am also a huge fan (and have been a fan longer) of Clint Barton aka 'Hawkeye' from The Avengers. That is not where this selection is coming from.

Every summer at Bass Pro Shops (my second job) I help out during Family Summer Camp by manning the range. At the range we have a BB Gun and a Bow. Both of these items are designed for kids. My job is to introduce kids who have never shot a gun or an arrow, teach them proper technique and safety, and help them shoot targets down range. I think sometimes I get more enjoyment out of than the kids do. And while I am a fan of guns and rifles, I get an especially large grin on my face when I see a kid go for the bow over the BB gun.

Now, while I do help kids with the bow, and I have been shooting a bow for a long time now, I have not had any specific training in archery outside of Boy Scouts and that one day in junior high PE class. This is a great start for me to build my knowledge of the subject.

I need to pace myself though, I can't go straight for the archery book every time it is time to read. Time to get a schedule reading alternate books down. Travel, Stats, Archery. Hopefully I have the discipline to stick to it

2 comments:

  1. That one day in junior high PE was the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the one thing I was good at in PE, no wonder it stuck with me.

      Delete