Thursday, October 18, 2012

Cooking the Books


The sluggishness in my non-fiction reading seems to be waning, that relaxing weekend was just what I needed. The British history and the global warming books have been turned back in and I'm thoroughly enjoying my video game critiquing book, Extra Lives by Tom Bissell. I might be done with it before the weekend.

I made the mistake of reading the first chapter of The Lost Gate by Orson Scott Card yesterday at lunch, now I'm trying to figure out how to squeeze another book into my schedule. This is dangerous considering my affinity for Card's novels, it would very easy to get sucked back into fantasy fiction. I need to make sure I keep some structure to my reading, reading at lunch is to be NF only, maybe I can read some fiction in the evening?

I haven't cracked Capote's In Cold Blood yet, but I plan on tackling it this weekend.

Now, I'm not sure this book counts, as it has been on my holds list for a while now, but here is selection #14: The Baby & Toddler Cookbook: Fresh, Homemade Foods for a Healthy Start by Karen Ansel, MS, RD & Charity Ferreira.

Now that we have a freezer full of homemade carrot, pea, and green bean cubes, time to start planning ahead.
My wife and I have been feeding the little girl solid food for a while now, and yes two weeks is a while when you have a 6 month old that doesn't like peas, so this book is to give us some new ideas and help us plan when she gets a little older.

This is my first cookbook, and it raises a difficult question: When are you finished reading a cookbook? Does my 50 page limit apply to cookbooks? I wonder if there needs to be a new rule for books with a lot of pictures, or maybe I should plan on reading the whole thing, giving me the opportunity to copy down recipes I want to try?

No comments:

Post a Comment