Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Nightmares, Bohemians, and jolly old elves

I may not enjoy Halloween, but I do have a tradition for Halloween. Every year I sit down and watch Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas. Why? One: I love this movie. and Two: once Halloween is out of the way it means that Santa season is fast approaching.

I do feel sorry for Thanksgiving, its sad that a season gets bushwhacked like that. But this year Santa arrives on November 10th and no matter how much complaining I hear about Christmas arriving so early . . . I love it!

Being Santa brings a joy that I have not experienced in any other job, ever. Will I have to deal with screaming toddlers, shrieking babies, smelly diapers, annoying and pushy parents, and beard pulling brats all while sweating in a felt suit with a fake white beard strapped to my chin? Yes. And I'll do it with a smile on my face because of that one kid that tells me what the want for Christmas and then squeals with delight when I tell them, 'I'll see what I can do if you're good.'

It's the little things that make it worth wile.

On a sad note, I've turned in my video game book, Extra Lives: Why video games matter by Tom Bissell. I enjoyed it immensely and I wish i could go back and re-play most of the games that were mentioned.

Onward and upward, not rain, nor snow, nor part-time jobs of dressing up as a jolly old elf will keep me from my non-fiction quest. Meet Selection #15: Among the Bohemians: Experiments in Living 1900-1939 by Virginia Nicholson.
Has the devil put aside for me, for me, for meeeeeeeee....
Here is what I know about Bohemians: Queen made a rhapsody for them, and Ewan McGregor played one in Moulin Rouge. . . that's about it. Hopefully I'll learn some more about them soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment