Friday, October 26, 2012

The Boy That Hated Halloween

You would think a fat kid would love Halloween, with everyone being loose with their candy. That is not the case with me. Halloween was just an extra day to get picked on and I did not look forward to that at all. And even though I remember watching The Evil Dead with my older brother, that did not mean I was less prone to being jumpy.

My Halloween tradition was to sit in my room and let my parents pass out the candy. As a teen we traditionally went on vacation around Halloween, possibly to get away from our degrading neighborhood. In college Halloween became less about candy and being spooky and more about women dressing up as naughty nurses, naughty teachers, naughty devils, naughty angels, basically any half-logical costume that a woman would wear minus most of the fabric that covered her. And while I admit this was enjoyable to see, it kind of got old, not to mention that it was almost always accompanied by drunk guys whistling and hollering.

As I moved into my professional life, Halloween meant a food day and possibly dressing a little more casually that day. Living in an apartment meant no kids would come around.

This year, however, I will not only actively participate in Halloween, I'm downright excited for it to get here. Since my wife and moved into a new house this year it will be the first time we are actually able to pass out candy. We will not be the couple on the street that is stingy with the candy, and we are passing out the good stuff, not the 5 year old Smarties or those Mary Janes purchased during the Jimmy Carter presidency. I know, I know, bringing out the good candy is a rookie mistake.

Plus, its Emma's first Halloween so we have to take advantage of dressing her up while she has no power to resist us. She'll be a strawberry this year . . . her last name is Fields . . . Strawberry Fields  . . . Beatles song?
OK glad we got past that. Because personally that whole Stawberry Fields thing was kind of destroyed when the Quantum of Solace came out.

Strawberry Fields Forever
Anyway, I'm really excited about Halloween for the first time in a long time. Even though it means Santa season is right around the corner and the next 2 months will be exhausting.

Next week I should be able to pick up some new books. I've been pretty lax and choosing titles that I want to read recently so I will definitely using my random number generators.

1 comment: