Monday, June 4, 2012

The Age of Routine

Hooray for Monday! Calm down, I have a reason.
There are 2 very important and exciting things occurring this morning: my wife goes back to work, and Miss Em starts daycare. Now, before I get tomatoes thrown at me for being an awful father and husband for being exciting about those things, the reason I'm excited is because we are ushering in 'The Age of the Routine' . . . that should have a gong sound or something associated with it. I'm very excited about starting routines, getting schedules worked out, structure, glorious structure. It's the beginning of a whole new era.
The reading routine is slowly getting traction. Now that my wife is back to work I'm hoping she can help me out, though she requested Janet Evanovich novels instead of random non-fiction books. I'm OK with that.
And speaking of random non-fiction books, this week I am ready to turn in 2 and pick up 2 more.
My next selection is kind of cheating. Not only have I read it before, I actually used to own it before I loaned it out to a co-worker and it was never seen again.
May I present 551.46 HEA, Tracks in the Sea: Matthew Fontaine Maury and the Mapping of the Oceans by Chester G Hearn

This book holds a special place in me heart. Before my life as an IT guy I spent 3 years in Huntsville, Alabama making maps for the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (they abbreviate it NGA, but why in the world would you want to? It sounds awesome!)
My job was to take raw data collected by the Navy and produce a hard-copy map from it. While it was fun and I loved it, it was the single most boring job I have ever had. Point, Click, Repeat. But, as a learned more more about making maps, I learned more and more about the CAD software we used (MicroStation for the win!) which lead me to learn more about the GIS databases we used, and eventually lead me to help assist my co-workers with tech support.
So, Tracks in the Sea is my next selection, that leaves me in a pickle with selection #2. I need a good way to select a random book. And while there are probably several different ways to do this, you know what they say: behind every great man is a great woman, and a great spreadsheet. OK they don't really say that, but I love spreadsheets.
Using my numbering system, that makes perfect sense to me, and a couple random number generators, behold: 342.7306 SIE. Claim of Privilege: A Mysterious Plane Crash, a Landmark Supreme Court Case, and the Rise of State Secrets by Barry Siegel

Happy routines everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment