Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Losing a Legend

I wanted to take time today to reflect on the passing of Ray Bradbury. I read The Martian Chronicles when I was in 6th grade and had my mind blown. I remember I kept looking up and wondering if i was allowed to read something that cool, like at any moment a teacher would catch me. My writing style, when I do find time to write fiction, is very similar to the 'episodic' structure that TMC was written in. It didn't occur to me until today just how much of an impact that book had on me.
Fahrenheit 451 was equally mind blowing, and got me turned onto stories about dystopia that I still love today. When I first started working for the library, and thus discovered the graphic novel section that I didn't know existed, the graphic novel version of 451 was for first checkout. Mostly because I love the book so much, but a little due to the irony of the story being made into a comic that society so loathed in 451.
Here's to you Mr Bradbury, you will be missed greatly and remembered fondly.

No comments:

Post a Comment