Monday, June 11, 2012

Weekend? What is this 'Weekend' you speak of?

Working in Loss Prevention has a drawback, it makes you paranoid. When I first started looking at the cameras and watching for potential shoplifters I kept saying to myself, don't judge someone just because of how they look. I didn't need to. You see, when you are watching the cameras you realize something, Everyone is trying to steal from you!
 
What's this guy doing? Looking at shirts? I'll keep an eye on him . . .
That lady has been looking at watches for like 3 minutes, I bet she is trying to figure out how to steal them . . .
3 kids sorting through dog collars??? Mother of God! Get me the national guard!

3 years I have been perfecting my paranoia, and while I have caught many would-be thieves (though not as many I think I should have) it began to occur to me that all this time staring at screens and worrying about a losing a $4.99 item might not be to good for me in the long run.

And just as these thoughts popped in my head, my new boss dropped a bomb. He said they have hired some new people and I might not be working as much. And indicated I might not be on the schedule at all this summer.

I still can't understand the concept of not having to work a 2nd job. In 2009 I had 1 job, after I was laid off *the day after I got back from my Honeymoon, no less! Sorry, still a little peeved about that . . . jerks*
I started working part time, 4 different places. Church Janitor, Garden Center employee, Meat Counter employee, Santa Claus impersonator. How's that for a work week? A wee bit hectic, but I managed.

So, going down to one job means I would have weekends off. Like 2 days in a row off! This concept is mind bottling. with two days off I might be able to get some more reading in, which means I might finish my project before I turn 75. Maybe . . .

Speaking of the project, new week and a new book. Meet Selection #6, 909.0982 GRA, or according to my spreadsheets: G2(N)7:7

From Alexander to Cleopatra: The Hellenistic World by Michael Grant



I know far too little about Greek history, looking forward to this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment