Thursday, September 13, 2012

Songs to read Non-Fiction by

First of all, a big thank you to Rachael Brown and the folks over at the Columbia Missourian for the article they wrote on my little project, thanks for spreading the word!

To complete this project of reading nearly 2,500 books, I'm going to need some help along the way. Enter my secret weapon: The Playlist.

You have to be careful though when selecting songs to read by, though. You don't want anything you will sing along to, that will be distracting. But you don't want anything you constantly be skipping over either. And make sure you avoid something trendy at the time, after hearing it for 57th time on your way to work some morning you'll go nuts.

Personally, I started my reading playlist with movie soundtracks. Specifically, all 3 Lord of the Rings (shocking, I know), add in the soundtracks for Tron: Legacy by Daft Punk and Hanna by the Chemical Brothers because, for me at least, a little electronic sound helps the pages turn a little faster. I also threw in the soundtrack to Game of Thrones, just for fun.

Then sprinkle in some video game soundtracks, but be careful. Batman (Arkham series), God of War, Warcraft, Advent Rising, and Mass Effect are all good for reading, but I seem to have difficulty with old-school 8-16 bit soundtracks like Mario or Sonic.

Now that you have your soundtracks in place, add some fun. I threw in some Jonathan Coulton, some Incredibad, and a few of my favorite tracks from Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-long Blog.

There you have it, a perfect playlist to sit back and read, I attribute it to the success I have had reading at my desk during lunch.

For my 10th selection, I have a feeling I'll need every bit of that playlist's help. Meet 941: The Story of Britain: From the Romans to the Present: A Narrative History by Rebecca Fraser. 785 pages . . . just press play and bring it on!
I like books about island getaways


No comments:

Post a Comment