Thursday, September 27, 2012

Winter is Coming


The temperatures are cooler and the nights are getting crisp. The leaves that have survived this dreadful summer are beginning to take a well deserved rest.

September is almost over, and good riddance! September is, by far, the busiest month in the library IT world. That's not a bad thing, but it sure does make you feel worn out. Maybe it has to do with back-to-school but I think I have dealt with more wireless access issues, document recovery emergencies, and printer fiascos this month than than I have the 3 previous months combined. On top of that, the end of September means the grand finale of the library's outstanding OneRead program, which I am happy and honored to help out with despite the stress and gray hairs it causes. Tonight is the Skype videoconference with Téa Obreht, author of this year's selection, The Tiger’s Wife. Tomorrow night will be the Balkan Folk Dance which, you will all be pleased to know, I will not be a participant.

As busy I have been at work, I have not been able to read as much as I'd like to. Unfortunately that tends to lead to a decrease in reading at home as well. We have been pretty diligent about reading to Emma though, which will be increasingly important as she gets older, she will be 6 months old next week!

I have been thinking about taking a short adjournment from the non-fiction action, call it a Fall break. I was just starting Game of Thrones Book 3 when I became sidetracked with the whole having a baby thing. This weekend may be my last chance of doing that. Starting next week our weekends are going to start getting busy with family coming into town and vacation trips that will lead right up to the start of Santa season, and then I can say goodbye to my free time until the end of the year. 

I've determined that reading about Global Warming and the British History at the same time is not a good idea. Not say each of those subjects are uninteresting, far from it, but they can get a little dry. maybe I should look up a book on Salsa Dancing or Arc Welding to liven things up a bit?

No comments:

Post a Comment