Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Upset Alert

Upset - noun
An unexpected result or situation, esp. in a sports competition

Let me set up the situation:
It was the opening weekend of college football. My wife and daughter went out of town for a 3 day weekend. I scored 2 free tickets to the Mizzou football game against SE Louisiana.

Even the remnants of hurricane Isaac could not stop me from enjoying Saturday's home opener against SE Louisiana . Not too bad a view for free tickets.
And with all of this going on, the inexplicable upset happened.

Not only did I find to time to crack open my latest non-fiction selection, The Young Oxford Companion to the Presidency of the United States by Richard M Pious, I burned through my 50 required pages!

Was it a Young Adult book, yes, but that's kind of like your football team taking on Northeastern Midwest Technical Institute A&M for your first game, it just feels good to get a win under your belt.

The other NF book I am reading, JavaScript: The Definitive Guide by David Flanagan, while chocked full of interesting JavaScript programming tips, is a bit rough to read straight through. I have found there are several really good online resources for learning JS, one I have been having fun with is from Channel 9.

NFL starts this weekend, could there possibly be another upset in the works? I'm gonna say most likely because I'm looking forward to keeping up this pace, I'll be in the double digits before long. Although I'm not going to get too excited considering I have just under 3,000 books to read, but hey, progress is progress.


No comments:

Post a Comment