Monday, September 17, 2012

What is this new devilry?

I had one goal this weekend: finish my Hunter S. Thompson book, Hey Rube.

I was planning on spending all weekend with it, watching football and reading has become one of my new favorite hobbies. My plans were ruined, however, when I took my book to job #2 Saturday and finished it during my lunch break.

Which left me in a very unusual position of spending the rest of my weekend without a non-fiction book. I left my other current selection, The Story of Britain by Rebecca Fraser, at work and, as it turns out I have no other non-fiction selections at home. Shameful, I know.

I was good for a while, but after the emotional roller-coaster that was the Arizona State @ Mizzou game Saturday night, where my Tigers won by the skin of their secondary, I needed a fix. Not reading was actually affecting my state of mind. I had to read something, things just weren't the same. My options were to wait it out till Monday or read some fiction, which I have an abundance of at the house.

Running out of Non-Fiction, a demon of the ancient world.

Here is my issue, if I start a Fiction book, I'll want to finish it. I have a Historical Fiction book that my brother-in-law let me borrow, but the odds of me finishing it by the end of the weekend were slim. I could attempt to pick up where I left off in the Game of Thrones series, but starting down that road is dangerous, it would take me a week just to remember all the houses. In the end, I fired up my Kindle and started reading Ender's Game again.

I've read Ender's Game so many times that I didn't need to read through every chapter to know what happens. Plus, I figured it would be good to brush up since I read that they are making into a movie starting Harrison Ford, Ben Kingsly and Asa Butterfield, that kid from Hugo, as Ender.  I don't have high hopes for this one, not because they will not do a good job, but because after the Eragon fiasco I've found it's best not to get too excited about sci-fi books being made into movies.

Anyway, I have safely made my way back to the stacks and my Non-Fiction fix has been, well, fixed. Meet Selection #11: The Future of Ice: A Journey Into Cold by Gretel Ehrlich.
Seems like a proper selection, after the summer we have had .

No comments:

Post a Comment